This recipe started for carrot oat energy bites started as a foray into healthy Christmas food ideas, but honestly, these balls don’t need to be kept for Christmas time, so whether you have popped over to my site to find the reindeer food or to find a lower sugar nut free ball, do not panic. You are in the right place for both.
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 Cup oats
- 1 Cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 Cup dates
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or other light flavoured oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger dried
- Desiccated coconut for rolling
- Watch the quick recipe video before you get started, scroll up a little to find it
- Check the notes at the bottom of the recipe for little bits of extra info and help
- Place carrots in a sturdy food processor and blitz until very finely chopped
- Add remaining ingredients, excluding the desiccated coconut and blitz until the mixture comes together into a large ball. This will take some time, 5 or so minutes of blitzing but be patient it will get there
- Using a teaspoon form balls, the mixture will be quite sticky (becuase of the water content of the fresh carrot) , but the texture improves once you roll in coconut. Get the kids involved they will love the mess
- Roll the balls in desiccated coconut
- The balls will be quite soft when first made as the mixture is quite warm for them blitzing. Refrigerate for a good few hours and this will improve immensely.
- This recipe is wheat free but does contain traditional oats so is not gluten free.