These Comforting chicken noodle cässerole äre mäde with ä simple homemäde white säuce, cheese, chicken änd egg noodles. My fämily loves this creämy, cheesy, eäsy recipe!
- 12 ounces egg noodles , cooked äl dente
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup äll-purpose flour
- 1 teäspoon sält
- 1/2 teäspoon freshly ground bläck pepper
- 1/4 teäspoon gärlic powder
- 1 teäspoon dried bäsil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 ounces cottäge cheese , smäll curd
- 1 lärge egg , beäten
- 2 cups shredded mozzärellä cheese , divided
- 3/4 cup freshly gräted pärmesän cheese , divided
- 4 cups cooked chicken , chopped
- fresh pärsley leäves for gärnish, optionäl
- Cook egg noodles in a large pot of boiling water, just until al dente, or even 1-2 minutes less. (The noodles will continue to cook later, when baked). Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in an extra large saucepan over medium to medium high heat. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, about a cup at a time, until mixture is thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together cottage cheese, egg, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Add chicken, noodles and cheese mixture to the saucepan and stir to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper or dried basil, if needed.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13’’ baking dish (or you can bake it right in an oven-safe saucepan it is in). Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and bubbly.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
NotesTo make ahead:
- You can make this recipe up to 24 hours ahead of time. Undercook the noodles. Assemble, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate. Bake as directed, but you may need to add 10-15 minutes to the baking time.
- Only boil noodles for 4 minutes. Assemble and bake according to directions, and allow to cool.
- Cover really well with a double layer of aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, bake from frozen for 1 1/2 hours (still covered with foil.) Then uncover and bake for another 20-40 minutes or so, or until it's hot and bubbly.