This hearty Green Chile Vegan Corn Chowder is a comforting dinner you can whip up in one hour! Each bowl features sweet corn, hearty potatoes, and cashews for extra creaminess. Gluten-free!
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups yellow corn (about 4 ears of corn), divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, core removed and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Russet or red potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or at least 4 hours*
- 1 7-ounce green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Green onions, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, add Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When hot, add onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add carrots, celery, and bell pepper; cook for 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- To the pot, add chopped potatoes, 3 cups corn, bay leaf, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, drain cashews. In a blender or food processor, add cashews, remaining 1 cup corn, and 1 cup water. Blend until smooth.
- When the chowder is done cooking, add cashew/corn mixture, green chiles, salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, and liquid smoke; stir. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with green onions.
- If you need soaked cashews in a hurry, boil raw cashews in a pot of water for 10 minutes.