Great as a side dish - or a main meal, let's be real - these homemade scalloped potatoes are totally vegan and totally DELICIOUS. This recipe is also oil-free, soy-free, and gluten-free.
- 5 cups potatoes about 800 grams
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cups non-dairy milk, plain unsweetened
- 1 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp or cube vegetable bouillon optional but adds flavor and salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne
- 3 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes - a mandoline slicer will work best so your potatoes are the same thickness. I recommend using a 2.5mm blade.
- Submerge your potato slices in a bowl of cold water to prevent oxidation.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium pot, whisk together the milk, vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, vegetable bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, paprika, pepper, and cayenne.
- Bring the sauce mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and cold water until there are no clumps.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the simmering sauce and whisk well. When thickened, remove the pot from heat.
- Drain the potatoes and layer half of them in a casserole dish. Pour half of the sauce over the potatoes. Give the casserole dish a good shake so the sauce gets in the nooks and crannies of the potatoes.
- Do the same with the remaining potatoes and sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes - or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve.