This vegan “cheesy” broccoli and rice casserole is the ultimate plant-based comfort food! The cheese sauce is unbelievably creamy but it’s made with vegetables!
- 2 cups brown rice, dry
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes
- ⅔ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups cooking water, reserved
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a wide, lidded saucepan, cook 2 cups of brown rice according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil and broccoli to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and continue to steam the broccoli in the pan for 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender.
- Remove the broccoli from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, potatoes, and carrots and cover with 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the vegetables, 1 cup of cooking water, cashews, salt, garlic, dijon, black pepper, and nutritional yeast, to a blender.
- Be sure to allow steam to escape from the top of the blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the broccoli and rice back into the skillet. Cover with cheese sauce and stir until combined.