This Slow Cooker African-Inspired Peanut Stew is a hearty, savoury chickpea and sweet potato curry, served with basmati rice and topped with cilantro. It's also gluten-free and vegan!
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 796mL can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice (optional side)
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker except for chickpeas, red pepper, spinach, cilantro, peanuts and rice. Cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Within the last half hour of cooking time, add chickpeas and red pepper. When ready to serve, stir in spinach and cilantro, reserving a bit of cilantro or serving more for garnish. Top each bowl with peanuts and serve with basmati rice.
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS: Dump everything into the Instant Pot in order that it appears listed above except for red pepper, spinach, cilantro, peanuts and rice. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and then do a quick release of the pressure. Remove lid, then stir in red pepper and spinach. Top each bowl with peanuts and serve with basmati rice.