A tasty twist on a classic cake! Crunchy pecans paired with chewy raisins and sweet shredded carrots make these cookies the perfect no-fork-needed dessert. And let’s not forget, each cookie oozes with a delectable cream cheese filling.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
Ingredients:for 16 cookies
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened (110 g)
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar (210 g)
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar (100 g)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (220 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (110 g)
- 1 cup raisin (150 g)
- ½ cup pecan, chopped (60 g)
- Make the cream cheese filling: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, flour, and vanilla. Mix with a fork until smooth.
- Scoop 16 teaspoon-sized balls of icing onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180˚C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (Do not use a silicone mat--if the bottoms of the cookies are too thin, the silicone will stick to the cookies and the icing centers will fall through when removed from the pan.)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar, and beat with an electric hand mixer or whisk for 1-2 minutes, or until well combined.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, then the vanilla and cinnamon and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Fold in the carrots, raisins, and pecans with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop 16 heaping tablespoons of dough onto 2 prepared baking sheets, spacing at least 3 inches apart. Flatten each scoop with moistened fingers.
- Place a frozen icing ball in the center of each dough round.
- Top the filling with another scoop of dough and use moistened fingers to flatten and seal the edges so the filling is completely encased.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are light brown. Be careful not to overbake or the filling will ooze out.
- Let the cookies cool completely. This is important! If you try to lift the cookies before they are cool and the icing is still warm, it could fall through the cookies.