This Broccoli Cheese Cornbread is one of those homestyle dishes made in Southern kitchens for many years. Inspired by a recipe in an old church cookbook that I have this variation is a bit of an update on the original. Filled with steamed broccoli florets, seasonings and plenty of sharp cheddar cheese it bakes tender, cheesy and packed with flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets roughly chopped
- 1 6.5 oz container light garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 1 8.5 oz box cornbread mix [Martha White or Jiffy]
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 7 x 11 inch (2 Quart) baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, the steamed broccoli, garlic-herb cheese spread, 4 eggs, melted butter and finely diced onion until blended.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, cornbread mix and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and you see moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted into the center.
- If you'd like to spice up the flavor, add 1-2 tsp. creole seasoning and a sprinkle of cayenne in place of the garlic and onion powder. You can also add 6-8 oz. cubed ham or cooked spicy sausage for a twist.