Slow braised, melt in your mouth tender beef barbacoa in a tasty sauce with spicy chipotle chilies that is perfect in tacos with diced onions and cilantro!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pounds chuck roast, fat trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 cup beef broth or beer or water
- 4 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat in a large heavy bottomed oven safe pot, add the beef and brown on all sides, about 10-15 minutes, before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic, cumin and oregano and cooking for a further minute.
- Add the broth, chipotle chilies, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered until the meat is pull apart tender, about 3-4 hours. OR Transfer the pot to a preheated 275F/140C oven and braise until the meat is pull apart tender, about 3-4 hours. OR Transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Remove the beef, shred and place back in the pot.
- Assemble the tacos in the tortillas with beef barbacoa, diced onions and cilantro or your favourite taco ingredients.