These Vegan Mashed Potato Bowls are all the things you crave in the fall and winter in one bowl! The creamiest, dreamiest vegan mashed potatoes, crispy, crunchy tofu and veggies, roasted veggies and corn. All topped with the easiest and somehow most delicious vegan gravy ever! You need these, I need these, the world needs these. These vegan mashed potato bowls are comforting as heck!
- 6-8 medium yukon gold potatoes (if large, cut in half)*
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt (divided)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 5-6 cloves roasted garlic (or sub minced garlic sautéed for 3 minutes in olive oil)*
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance // melted/softened)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives (for topping)
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan or pot and cover with water. Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp of sea salt (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until very tender. They should effortlessly slide off a knife when pierced with a knife.
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop up your chives and measure your butter.
- Once tender, drain your potatoes and place them back in the hot pot off the heat for 1 minute to evaporate any additional water. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash your potatoes using either a potato masher or a hand mixer until fluffy. Note: Be careful using a hand mixer as you can overmix the potatoes and they can become gluey. It’s personally the method I prefer as I don’t own a potato masher. I just make sure not to overmix.
- Add in butter, garlic, salt, and black pepper and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Lastly top with chives, stir and serve as is or with your favorite gravy (or mushroom gravy). Leftovers will keep in the fridge covered for up to a few days.
- *Use organic potatoes if possible, especially since you leave the skin on.
- *To roast a head of garlic, simply cup the top off to expose tips, rub with olive oil, wrap in foil and bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour in a 400-degree F (204 C) oven directly on the rack. Cloves should squeeze out easily once cooled. Discard skins/peel.