These decadent, cheesy twists are full of yummy pesto flavor. Mozzarella meets bright herbs with the satisfying crunch of a golden crust. Bite into these for a quick keto snack or a perfect side dish with dinner. Or serve up a platter with aperitifs at your next cocktail party.
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 oz. butter
- 6½ oz. shredded cheese, preferably mozzarella
- ¼ cup green pesto
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing the top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the egg and combine.
- Melt the butter and the cheese together in a pot on low heat. Stir until the batter is smooth.
- Add the butter-cheese batter to the dry mixture bowl and mix together into a firm dough.
- Place the dough on parchment paper, that is the size of a rectangular cookie sheet. Use a rolling pin and make a rectangle, about 1/5-inch (5 mm) thick.
- Spread pesto on top and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips. Twist them and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush twists with the whisked egg.
- Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until they’re golden brown.
- If your dough seems to be sticky, place between two sheets of parchment paper before using the rolling pin. Once you've rolled it out, remove the upper piece of parchment paper.
- Out of pesto? No problem. Sub in any of your favorite spices. Paprika powder, chili, curry, cumin or herbs like thyme, oregano and basil all work well.
- For a little extra variety, try substituting a little parmesan for some of the mozzarella.