This Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches is my favorite twist to a traditional grilled cheese! Any dinner that’s ready in 15 minutes is my kind of easy weeknight meal!
- 8 slices crusty artisan bread
- 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese (or about 1/3 cup shredded)
- 8 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup marinara pasta sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 4 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves , chopped (optional)
- butter (for spreading on bread)
- Spread butter on the "outside" pieces of bread that will touch the griddle when cooking.
- Spread marinara sauce on the inside pieces of the sandwich bread.
- Layer mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top of the marinara sauce. Top with fresh basil, if using.
- Place bread slices together to make a sandwich. Place sandwich on hot griddle or skillet and cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown and toasted.
- Serve immediately.