This Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe is a cozy blend of chicken, vegetables, spice, cheese, and tortellini in a thin creamy broth. Lightened-up!
- 1 tablespoon DeLallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (2 large breasts)
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 8.8 ounces DeLallo Three-Cheese Tortellini Pasta
- 1/4-1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons packed frozen spinach or 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onions. Saute for 3 minutes to soften. Then add the chopped bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Saute another 3 minutes.
- Add whole raw chicken breasts, chicken broth, dried thyme, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Lower the heat a little and simmer 15 minutes, until the chicken in cooked through. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Turn the heat back to medium. With the broth still simmering, stir in the DeLallo Three Cheese Tortellini. Stir well so it doesn't stick together. Then chop or shred the chicken and place back in the soup.
- Once the tortellini is cooked through, about 10-14 minutes, turn off the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup heavy cream, spinach, and parsley. Add a little more cream if desired. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.