You’ve gotta try these healthy oatmeal bars, they’re naturally sweetened oatmeal cookie bars, layered with dark chocolate almond butter. A simple vegan cereal bar recipe!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour (I used all-purpose, but any kind should work. Try oat flour for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond butter, divided (or other nut-butter)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Line a 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, maple syrup, 1/2 cup almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon. The mixture should be sticky and clump together easily. If it’s too crumbly, add a bit more nut butter. If too wet, add in more oats/flour.
- Transfer half of the mixture into the baking pan and spread evenly. I like to use a piece of parchment paper to press down the mixture evenly, but a small rolling pin (or your fingers!) also works. Place in the fridge and let harden for at least 30 minutes.
- After the mixture has hardened in the fridge, melt the chocolate chips along with the remaining 1/4 cup almond butter in a double boiler or small pot over boiling water until creamy and smooth. Pour the chocolate on the oat layer and refrigerate until hardened, about 1 hour.
- Remove the chocolate layer from the fridge and place the remaining oat mixture on top. I think it’s easiest to crumble the the remaining dough all over the chocolate and press together. Place back in the fridge to harden, at least 30 more minutes.
- Slice into 9-12 bars (depending on what size bar you like). The bars will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.