Of all the quick breads we had growing up, this beautiful lemon blueberry bread is the best! The citrus glaze adds a lustrous finish and locks in moisture.
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the blueberries, nuts and lemon zest.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely.
NOTES:Test Kitchen tips
- Room temperature eggs will help the batter mix more evenly and achieve a higher rise in the oven.
- Go for freshly squeezed lemon juice when preparing this bread. Bottled lemon juice, which is from concentrate, won’t provide the same bright, fresh flavor.
- If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.