This Cubed Steak with Onion Gravy is a quick and easy meal that is an economical way to serve beef to your family. Cubed steaks are coated in flour and pan-fried. This country-style steak is covered in a super flavorful onion gravy that gets lots of onion flavor from a large sliced onion and a packet of dry onion soup mix.
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed steak
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- Combine flour, garlic salt, and black pepper in a pie plate or shallow dish. Dredge both sides of cubed steak in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add steak (cooking in 2 batches if necessary). Cook 5 minutes per side. Remove steak from skillet and set aside.
- If you want to thicken the gravy some, add a few teaspoons of leftover flour from dredging the steak to the drippings in the pan.
- Add onion, broth, and onion soup mix to the drippings in the pan. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until onions are soft.
- Return steak to pan to warm. Serve with mashed potatoes.